NB: After careful research, we approached ZEAL Optics for sponsorship. We were excited about their innovative and environmentally-friendly manufacturing process combined with the clarity of their lenses. And, of course, we only work with companies whose products we would use regardless of sponsorship.
Polarized shades are crucial when you spend a lot of time searching the sea for wind, hazards, wildlife, or landfall,and with ZEAL Optics we protect our eyes sustainably and stylishly! ZEAL’s sunnies and goggles are all plant-based, not petroleum-based, using the castor bean which grows quickly on marginal lands not used for food production.
This also translates into higher quality – purer clarity, better contrast and color, and more lightweight and comfortable frames. All the models we have exceeded our already-high expectations. Our eyes are well protected from the many harmful rays we’re exposed to in the long daylight hours of high latitude summers. We get a lot of reflected sun off water, snow, and ice, too, just adding to the harm we could do to our eyes if we didn’t have protection. Burned retinas and cataracts are no fun for anybody….
Polarization also cuts the glare, which allows us to spot the shallows in unknown (and sometimes uncharted!) waters. When the temperature drops, or the wind kicks up and the salt spray starts to fly (and freeze!), we dig out our ZEAL ski goggles for even better protection. They’re polarized too, so we have a good chance of discerning whitecaps from ice.
Our ZEAL sunnies come with us wherever we go now – they’re invaluable for trips ashore, whether hiking the mountains bordering the Bering Strait, fishing for salmon, or riding an ATV on the Alaskan tundra.
And of course we love both our sunnies and our goggles for Alpine adventure, both hiking and skiing!
So we’re stoked to have joined up with the ZEAL team—all of us seeking to Explore More!
Blog posts (all on ZEAL’s own blog unless noted):
- Introducing ZEAL as a sponsor (on GoneFloatabout)
- Inspiration for the voyage
- Rolling with the Punches
- Kenai Peninsula with Gone Floatabout, about plastic in the oceans
- More about the Kenai Peninsula and plastic trash (on GoneFloatabout)
- Miami Boat Show post
- Last powder day of the year at Saas Fee, Switzerland
- Real Alaskan Brown Bears
- Catching up with Circumnavigators Ellen and Seth
- Celeste Arctic Sailing Voyage
- Traversing the Bering Sea
- Dispatch Diaries on Celeste’s Arctic Voyage
- Swiss Hiking at its Finest
- Dispatch from s/v Celeste: Preparations in Dutch Harbor, Alaska 2016
- Dispatch from s/v Celeste: Aleutian Islands to Kodiak, Alaska 2016