In Cruising World:
- Alaska’s Wild Coast
- Alone at the Ice Edge, the photo in which was honored by Boating Writers International.
- Picture Perfect Indian Ocean Adventure
- Luxury on 120 Amp Hours
- Welcome Home Feast
- Cover photo, July 2014
- The Perfect Getaway: Downeast Charm in North Haven, Maine
- An Unexpected Gem: New York City’s East River
Coming soon: “Waterfalls and Glaciers”, “The Far Northwest: Alaska’s Arctic Coast”, “Banishing Water Worries: A low-draw desalinator proves easy to install and maintain”, “End of Season Lay-Up”.
In Classic Boat:
- Herreshoff’s Masterpiece – can be read online here.
- Cruising Alaska
- Cruising Maine: It’s the world’s center of wooden boats and cruising the coastline leads you to meeting lots of them
- Online photo gallery, Cruising the Maine Coast with Ellen Massey Leonard.
- Fun-Sized Sailing
- Victoria Harbour Classics
Coming soon: “Living Monuments to the Gilded Age: Lake Geneva’s Historic Steamboats”, “A Rare Arctic Bird”.
In Sailing Today:
- Ice Sailor: High Latitude Outfitting
- 2015 Best Photo Award
- Photo Series from the Miami Boat Show
- Desolation Sound: Boats Meet Bears where the Mountains Meet the Sea
- Dispatches from Maine aboard Nahma
In Ocean Navigator:
- Sail Fast! Aleutian Islands to Juan de Fuca Strait in Seven Weeks
- Managing Seasickness
- Two Hands on Deck: The Advantages and Practicalities of Short-handed Passagemaking
- An Unusual High Latitude Vessel
- My contribution to Voyagers’ Favorite Apps
- An emergency watermaker, And earlier web exclusive.
- Cover Photo, May/June 2015.
- Armor Belted: A cold-molded hull protected for high latitude voyaging and Arctic ice
- The Foundations of Good Seamanship
- Cover photo, March/April 2014.
- Basic Coastal Navigation
- Second nonstop solo circumnavigation attempt
- Staying Fit on a Voyage
- The Avian Pleasures of Voyaging
- Victoria Classic Boat Festival
- Voyager Weighs in on Tourist Development for Yap
- Staying Clear of Piracy: Three Long Passages across the Indian OceanAlso see this web exclusive by Tim Queeney about anti-piracy charts.
- A Propeller Shaft Rebuild Afloat
- Following Cook and Slocum: Voyagers Head North Inside Australia’s Great Barrier Reef
- A Panamanian Souvenir
- Striking a Balance
- Inadvertently Green: The Budget Cruising Dividend
- Learning the Island Ways
- Voyaging Skills Interview
- Moored in Mid-Ocean
- Island of Contrasts
In Pacific Yachting:
- Passage through the Aleutians: Windswept Beauty in the Bering Sea
- Cover Photo December 2015.
- Weathering Williwaws
- Carrington Bay, Cortes Island
- 10 Items to Make Cold Weather Sailing More Comfortable
- An Introduction to High Latitude Outfitting
- The Right Decision
- Fast Boats and Fun People at the Miami Boat Show
- Jade Harbor, Prince William Sound
- Never without Bread
- The Other Higher Education
- Montague Harbor, Gulf Islands, British Columbia
- Favorite Cruising Destination: Society Islands, French Polynesia
- Wind vs. Solar: Evaluating Alternative Energy Sources for Marine Use
- Thanksgiving on the Intracoastal Waterway
- Two Sides of Block Island: A Fourth of July stopover reveals contrasting impressions of an historic isle
- The Voyaging Galley
- Searching for Birds on the Chesapeake Bay
- Lizard Island, Queensland, Australia
On OffCenterHarbor.com, the classic boat video and blog subscription website:
- CELESTE’s Arctic Voyage
- Sailing to the Aleutian Islands
- My Favorite Rig and Why—The Unstayed Mast
- Why Attempt the Northwest Passage: One Woman’s Inspiration and Goals
- Inadvertently Green: the Budget Cruising Dividend
- A Busy Day at the Victoria Classic Boat Festival.
- Rare Birds: Classic Boats Offshore Part 1, Heretic and Haforn
- Messing About
- Good Reads
- Learning from Experience: My Biggest Disaster and What it Taught Me
Also see Ellen’s Guide Page.
In Sailing January 2017: “Captain Cook’s Paradise: New Zealand’s Bay of Islands
In Alert Diver: An Ounce of Prevention
In Cruising Club of America (CCA) and Ocean Cruising Club (OCC) journals:
- “Sail Fast!” in CCA 2017 journal.
- “Voyaging to the Top of America: A Two-Season Cruise to Arctic Alaska” in CCA’s 2016 journal. For which I was awarded the Vilas Literary Prize.
- Cover Photo and article in the OCC’s 2016/1 journal.
In Cruising Outpost: How to Lose a Dinghy
In The Coastal Passage: The Man Behind the Screen, Clearing Customs in Oz
In Hello Switzerland:
- The Treasures of Swiss Hiking: The Swiss trail network is arguably one of the best in the world
- “Drapeau Swiss, A Tale of Swiss Mountain Generosity”
In Offshoots 12: Reflections (Geneva Writers’ Group 2013 anthology): Poem “Leaving Home”.
- On Ocean Navigator‘s channel: Mantus Anchor in the Arctic
- On Katadyn’s channel: Testing our watermaker at the polar ice edge.
- Arctic Voyage Series on Cruising World‘s website.
- Arctic Voyage Series on Gone Floatabout YouTube channel.
On the blog of our partner ZEAL Optics:
- Hiking the Olympic Peninsula.
- Dispatches from summer 2016: No. 1, from the Aleutian Islands and No. 2 from the Alaska Peninsula and Kodiak.
- A series on skiing the Swiss Alps: Part 1: The Powdery Vales of Engadin, Part 2: The Haute-Route and Iconic Valais, and Part 3: Hometown Hill
- Swiss Hiking at its Finest
- Celeste Arctic Sailing Voyage
- Catching up with Circumnavigators Ellen and Seth
- Real Alaskan Brown Bears
- Last powder day of the year at Saas Fee, Switzerland
- Kenai Peninsula with Gone Floatabout
- Rolling with the Punches (and the waves)
- Inspired by the Ocean: A Voyage of Epic Proportions
A few profiles written about us:
- Interview on Psychology of Sailing Website
- Our page on Spectra Watermakers’ website.
- News Item about Ellen’s presentation at Surval Academy, Montreux
- Blog post on Platypus Marine’s site about our Arctic Voyage.
- Profile in the Phillips Exeter Academy Bulletin
- Newspaper article in the Ellsworth American
All text and photographs © Ellen Massey Leonard 2017, All Rights Reserved.