Ellen’s Sailing and Adventure Articles:
Cover story for Ocean Navigator March/April 2017: Sail Fast! Aleutian Islands to Juan de Fuca Strait in Seven Weeks.
And on our new Gone Floatabout YouTube Channel! Here’s the latest (Episode 2):
Cover story for Cruising World Jan/Feb 2017: Alaska’s Wild Coast
Feature in Sailing January 2017: “Captain Cook’s Paradise: New Zealand’s Bay of Islands”
Cover Story for Sailing Today February 2017: “Ice Sailor: High Latitude Outfitting”
Video: Mantus Anchor in the Arctic on Ocean Navigator‘s YouTube channel. Check out the rough conditions we encountered on our voyage to the Alaskan Arctic!
In Cruising World:
- “Waterfalls and Glaciers”
- “The Far Northwest: Alaska’s Arctic Coast”
- “Banishing Water Worries: A low-draw desalinator proves easy to install and maintain”
- “End of Season Lay-Up”
In Classic Boat:
- “Living Monuments to the Gilded Age: Lake Geneva’s Historic Steamboats”
- “A Rare Arctic Bird”
In Cruising World:
- Alone at the Ice Edge, June 2016.
- Picture Perfect Indian Ocean Adventure cover story for Cruising World, January 2016.
- Luxury on 120 Amp Hours, Cruising World, December 2015.
- Contribution to Cruising World‘s 2015 Holiday Gift Guide for Sailors.
- “Welcome Home Feast”, June 2015.
- Cover photo, July 2014: “L. Francis Herreshoff ketch Nahma scoots along Maine’s Eggemoggin Reach under spinnaker.”
- “The Perfect Getaway: Downeast Charm in North Haven, Maine”, cover story, July 2014.
- “An Unexpected Gem: New York City’s East River,” February 2014.
In Classic Boat:
- “Herreshoff’s Masterpiece”, cover story, September 2015. Can be read online here.
- Cruising Alaska, cover story, June 2015.
- “Cruising Maine: It’s the world’s center of wooden boats and cruising the coastline leads you to meeting lots of them”, cover story, April 2015.
- Online photo gallery, Cruising the Maine Coast with Ellen Massey Leonard.
- Fun-Sized Sailing, November 2013.
- “Victoria Harbour Classics,” November 2013.
In Sailing Today:
- 2015 Best Photo Award
- “Miami Pics”, April 2015.
- Desolation Sound: Boats Meet Bears where the Mountains Meet the Sea, cover story, October 2014.
- “Dispatches from Maine aboard Nahma“, December 2013.
In Ocean Navigator:
Cover shot by Seth on the Nov/Dec 2016 issue.
- Managing Seasickness, September/October 2016.
- Two Hands on Deck: The Advantages and Practicalities of Short-handed Passagemaking, in Ocean Voyager 2016.
- An Unusual High Latitude Vessel, July/August 2016.
- Ellen’s contribution to Voyagers’ Favorite Apps, July/August 2016.
- An emergency watermaker, July/August 2015. And earlier web exclusive.
- Cover Photo, May/June 2015.
- Armor Belted: A cold-molded hull protected for high latitude voyaging and Arctic ice, cover story, Jan/Feb 2015.
- The Foundations of Good Seamanship, November 2014 e-Newsletter.
- Cover photo, March/April 2014.
- Basic Coastal Navigation, in March/April 2014.
- Chartroom Chatter news piece Second nonstop solo circumnavigation attempt, March/April 2014.
- Staying Fit on a Voyage, November 2013 e-Newsletter.
- The Avian Pleasures of Voyaging, about birding offshore, November/December 2013.
- Victoria Classic Boat Festival, Chartroom Chatter news piece, Nov/Dec 2013.
- Voyager Weighs in on Tourist Development for Yap, about the cultural and environmental dangers of invasive tourism, October 2013.
- Staying Clear of Piracy: Three Long Passages across the Indian Ocean, the Ocean Voyaging cover story for July/August 2013. Also see this web exclusive by Tim Queeney about anti-piracy charts.
- A Propeller Shaft Rebuild Afloat, feature in the 2013 annual special edition Ocean Voyager.
Following Cook and Slocum: Voyagers Head North Inside Australia’s Great Barrier Reef, the Ocean Voyaging cover story for Jan/Feb 2013.
- A Panamanian Souvenir, about health afloat. October 2012.
- Cover photo by Seth, May 2012.
- Striking a Balance, feature about the estimated costs of purchasing and maintaining a voyaging yacht, Ocean Voyager 2012.
- Inadvertently Green: The Budget Cruising Dividend, Nov/Dec 2011.
- Learning the Island Ways, October 2011.
- Voyaging Skills Interview, feature in Ocean Voyager 2011.
- Moored in Mid-Ocean, March/April 2011.
- Island of Contrasts, Nov/Dec 2010.
In Pacific Yachting:
- Passage through the Aleutians: Windswept Beauty in the Bering Sea, December 2015.
- Cover Photo December 2015.
- Weathering Williwaws, May 2015.
- “Carrington Bay, Cortes Island”, July 2014.
In Alert Diver, Fall 2013: “An Ounce of Prevention,” about the responsibilities and rewards of scuba diving without a guide.
In Cruising Club of America (CCA) and Ocean Cruising Club (OCC) publications:
- “Voyaging to the Top of America: A Two-Season Cruise to Arctic Alaska” in the CCA’s annual journal Voyages. Recipient of the CCA’s Charles H. Vilas Literary Prize! Read about the Vilas Literary Prize on Ocean Navigator‘s site, on Cruising World‘s web page, and at Sail-World.com!
- Cover Photo and article in the OCC’s biannual journal Flying Fish.
- 10 Items to Make Cold Weather Sailing More Comfortable, June 2016.
- An Introduction to High Latitude Outfitting, October 2015.
- The Right Decision, cover story, May 2015.
- “Fast Boats and Fun People at the Miami Boat Show”, May 2015 .
- Read about the seminars Ellen gave at the Miami Boat Show in February 2015. BWS magazine sponsors the seminars.
- “Jade Harbor, Prince William Sound”, January 2015.
- Never without Bread, August 2014.
- The Other Higher Education, cover story, April 2014.
- Montague Harbor, Gulf Islands, British Columbia, March 2014.
- Favorite Cruising Destination: Society Islands, French Polynesia, my contribution to an article featuring 6 regular BWS contributors in the December 2013 issue.
- Wind vs. Solar: Evaluating Alternative Energy Sources for Marine Use, cover story, November 2013.
- Thanksgiving on the Intracoastal Waterway, November 2013.
- Two Sides of Block Island: A Fourth of July stopover reveals contrasting impressions of an historic isle, cover story, October 2013.
- The Voyaging Galley, June 2013.
- Searching for Birds on the Chesapeake Bay, cover story, April 2013.
- “Lizard Island, Queensland, Australia,” March 2013.
On OffCenterHarbor.com, the classic boat video and blog subscription website:
- CELESTE’s Arctic Voyage
- Sailing to the Aleutian Islands
- My Favorite Rig and Why—The Unstayed Mast
- Why Attempt the Northwest Passage: One Woman’s Inspiration and Goals
- Inadvertently Green: the Budget Cruising Dividend
- A Busy Day at the Victoria Classic Boat Festival.
- Rare Birds: Classic Boats Offshore Part 1, Heretic and Haforn
- Messing About
- Good Reads
- Learning from Experience: My Biggest Disaster and What it Taught Me
Also see Ellen’s Guide Page.
In Cruising Outpost: “How to Lose a Dinghy”, humor piece in Winter 2014.
In The Coastal Passage Australian magazine: “The Man Behind the Screen, Clearing Customs in Oz,” July 2009.
- The Treasures of Swiss Hiking: The Swiss trail network is arguably one of the best in the world, in Summer 2013.
- “Drapeau Swiss, A Tale of Swiss Mountain Generosity” in Winter 2011-2012.
In Offshoots 12: Reflections (Geneva Writers’ Group 2013 anthology): Poem “Leaving Home”.
VIDEO on Katadyn’s YouTube channel: Testing our watermaker at the polar ice edge.
On the blog of our sponsor ZEAL Optics:
- Hiking the Olympic Peninsula, December 2016.
- Dispatches from summer 2016: No. 1, from the Aleutian Islands and No. 2 from the Alaska Peninsula and Kodiak.
- A series on skiing the Swiss Alps: Part 1: The Powdery Vales of Engadin, Part 2: The Haute-Route and Iconic Valais, and Part 3: Hometown Hill, May 2016.
- Swiss Hiking at its Finest, March 2016.
- Celeste Arctic Sailing Voyage, June 2015.
- Catching up with Circumnavigators Ellen and Seth, June 2015.
- Real Alaskan Brown Bears, July 2015.
- Last powder day of the year at Saas Fee, Switzerland, April 2015.
- Kenai Peninsula with Gone Floatabout, January 2015.
- Rolling with the Punches (and the waves), August 2014.
- Inspired by the Ocean: A Voyage of Epic Proportions, April 2014.
On the blog of our sponsor Platypus Marine:
- Celeste Update, September 2015.
- Celeste Update, August 2015.
- Celeste Adventure, July 2015.
- Platy’s Voyage on Celeste, Part Two, December 2014.
- Platy’s Voyage on Celeste, Part One, November 2014.
A few profiles written about us:
- News Item about Ellen’s presentation at Surval Academy, Montreux, December 2014.
- Blog post on Platypus Marine’s site about our Arctic Voyage.
- Profile in the Phillips Exeter Academy Bulletin by Debbie Kane, Winter 2011.
- Newspaper article in the Ellsworth American by Stephen Rappaport, July 2010.
All text and photographs © Ellen Massey Leonard and Seton Leonard, 2016, All Rights Reserved.