Stuff I’ve published about sailing and the outdoors:
In Ocean Navigator, for which I’m honored to be a contributing editor:
- Toughest Passages series:
- Maine’s First Ship: Reconstructing the 1607 Pinnace Virginia
- Cover Photo, November/December 2019.
- Aussie Engine Rebuild
- Cover Photo, March/April 2019.
- Passage to San Francisco
- A Penchant for the Primitive: PDF of the print magazine or online
- Sail Fast! Aleutian Islands to Juan de Fuca Strait in Seven Weeks
- Cover Photo, November/December 2016.
- Managing Seasickness
- Two Hands on Deck: The Advantages and Practicalities of Short-handed Passagemaking
- An Unusual High Latitude Vessel
- Contribution to Voyagers’ Favorite Apps
- An emergency watermaker, And earlier web exclusive.
- Cover Photo, May/June 2015.
- Armor Belted: A cold-molded hull protected for high latitude voyaging and Arctic ice
- The Foundations of Good Seamanship
- Cover photo, March/April 2014.
- Basic Coastal Navigation
- Second nonstop solo circumnavigation attempt
- Staying Fit on a Voyage
- The Avian Pleasures of Voyaging
- Victoria Classic Boat Festival
- Tourist Development for Yap
- Staying Clear of Piracy: Three Long Passages across the Indian Ocean. Also see this web exclusive by Tim Queeney about anti-piracy charts.
- A Propeller Shaft Rebuild Afloat
- Following Cook and Slocum: Heading North Inside Australia’s Great Barrier Reef
- A Panamanian Souvenir
- Cover Photo, May/June 2012.
- Striking a Balance
- Inadvertently Green: The Budget Cruising Dividend
- Learning the Island Ways
- Voyaging Skills Interview
- Moored in Mid-Ocean
- Island of Contrasts
In Cruising World:
- Sailing for the Fishing in Wild Alaska
- Grilled Salmon with Citrus Butter
- A Sea Gypsy’s Conundrum: How to Get Mail at Sea
- O’tea Dance Practice on the Wharf
- A Perfect Anchorage
- Calm Before the Squall
- Prepping Your Sailboat for Winter
- A Close Encounter with Orca Whales
- Banishing Water Worries: A low draw desalinator proves easy to install and maintain
- The Far Northwest: Alaska’s Arctic
- Alaska’s Wild Coast
- Alone at the Ice Edge, photo honored by Boating Writers International.
- Picture Perfect Indian Ocean Adventure
- Luxury on 120 Amp Hours
- Welcome Home Feast
- Cover photo, July 2014
- The Perfect Getaway: Downeast Charm in North Haven, Maine
- An Unexpected Gem: New York City’s East River
In Pacific Yachting:
- 12 Live-Aboard Tips to Beat the Winter Woes
- Passage through the Aleutians: Windswept Beauty in the Bering Sea
- Cover Photo December 2015
- Weathering Williwaws
- Carrington Bay, Cortes Island
In Classic Boat:
- Sailing in the Aquarium: Mexico’s Sea of Cortez
- Yard News: Early 17th Century Ship Replica in Build
- A Rare Arctic Bird: Across the Arctic Circle in a wooden cutter
- Lake Geneva’s historic steamboats: Living monuments to a gilded age
- Herreshoff’s Masterpiece (available online here)
- Cruising Alaska
- Cruising Maine, the world’s center of wooden boats
- Online photo gallery, Cruising the Maine Coast
- Fun-Sized Sailing
- Victoria Harbour Classics
- Adventures with Dinghy Series
- Episode 1: A Strange Wreck in the Bahamas
- Episode 2: Dolphins Playing in New Zealand’s Bay of Islands
- Episode 3: The Tender Goes Solo – in the Panama Canal
- Episode 4: A Sojourn in the Fijian Jungle
- Episode 5: Can I Survive Australia?
- Episode 6: In at the Deep End
- Episode 7: Wreck-diving in Bermuda
- Episode 8: A New Dinghy, a New Mothership, and a New Direction
- Cover Photo March/April 2016
- Cover Photo Jan/Feb 2017
- Dampfboot! Paddle Steamboat Liberty Belle
- Bay of Virgins, Fatu Hiva
- South Pacific Starry Night
- Great Inagua Island
In Sailing Today:
- High Latitude Outfitting
- 2015 Best Photo Award
- Photo Series from the Miami Boat Show
- Desolation Sound: Boats Meet Bears where the Mountains Meet the Sea
- Dispatches from Maine aboard Nahma
- 10 Items to Make Cold Weather Sailing More Comfortable
- An Introduction to High Latitude Outfitting
- The Right Decision
- Fast Boats and Fun People at the Miami Boat Show
- Jade Harbor, Prince William Sound
- Never without Bread
- The Other Higher Education
- Montague Harbor, Gulf Islands, British Columbia
- Favorite Cruising Destination: Society Islands, French Polynesia
- Wind vs. Solar
- Thanksgiving on the Intracoastal Waterway
- Two Sides of Block Island: A Fourth of July stopover reveals contrasting impressions of an historic isle
- The Voyaging Galley
- Searching for Birds on the Chesapeake Bay
- Lizard Island, Queensland, Australia
On OffCenterHarbor.com, for which I’m honored to be a “guide”:
- My Favorite Non-Boat Gear
- CELESTE’s Arctic Voyage
- Sailing to the Aleutian Islands
- My Favorite Rig
- Inadvertently Green: the Budget Cruising Dividend
- A Busy Day at the Victoria Classic Boat Festival.
- Rare Birds: Classic Boats Offshore Part 1, Heretic and Haforn
- Messing About
- Good Reads
- Learning from Experience: My Biggest Disaster and What it Taught Me
In Sister Ship online magazine:
- Frontier Engine Repair
- My Perfect Dinghy
- Landfall to A Sailor (also published in Voyages 2020, the journal of the Cruising Club of America, “Musings on Landfall”)
- Captain Cook’s Paradise: New Zealand’s Bay of Islands
In Alert Diver:
- An Ounce of Prevention
In Voyages, the journal of the Cruising Club of America:
- Musings on Landfall
- Cover Photo 2019: CELESTE in the Doldrums, crossing the Pacific.
- A Penchant for the Primitive: Reflections on spending my twenties at sea.
- Sail Fast! The Aleutian Islands to Juan de Fuca Strait in seven weeks.
- Voyaging to the Top of America: A two-season cruise to the Alaskan Arctic. Honored with the Vilas Literary Prize.
I was honored be the 2018 recipient of the CCA’s Young Voyager Award.
In Flying Fish, the journal of the Ocean Cruising Club:
- Cover Photo 2019/2
- Passage to San Francisco
- Cover Photo 2018/2
- A Penchant for the Primitive (updated in 2018). Honored with the David Wallis Trophy.
- Voyaging to the Top of America: A Two-Season Cruise to the Alaskan Arctic.
- Cover Photo 2016/1
In Cruising Outpost:
- How to Lose a Dinghy
In The Coastal Passage:
- The Man Behind the Screen, Clearing Customs in Oz
In Hello Switzerland:
- The Treasures of Swiss Hiking
- Drapeau Swiss, A Tale of Swiss Mountain Generosity
In anthology Offshoots 12: Reflections:
- Poem “Leaving Home”
On my sponsors’ blogs:
- The Far Northwest
- Hiking the Olympic Peninsula.
- Dispatches from summer 2016:
- A series on skiing the Swiss Alps:
- Swiss Hiking at its Finest
- Celeste Arctic Sailing Voyage
- Catching up with Circumnavigators Ellen and Seth
- Alaskan Brown Bears
- Last powder day of the year at Saas Fee, Switzerland
- Kenai Peninsula with Gone Floatabout
- Rolling with the Punches (and the waves)
- Inspired by the Ocean
All text and photographs © Ellen Massey Leonard 2020, All Rights Reserved.