Happy Thanksgiving to the Gone Floatabout subscribers! A couple of the blogs I read have been posting 50 things they’re thankful for, and I liked the idea so thought I’d put up mine! (They’re listed in the order in which they came to my head.)
1. Seth (This is Ellen writing!)
2. The rest of my family
4. The opportunity to go on adventures
5. The world’s oceans
6. Celeste and sailing
7. The opportunity to live in Switzerland when not on Celeste
9. Mountains and all the beautiful landscapes they encompass: glaciers, peaks, rock, meadows, forests, hot springs, waterfalls, roadless hamlets.
10. Dry, fluffy snow (skiers know what I’m talking about!)
12. Writing, teaching, and work
13. My education and teachers/professors
14. Hiking and backpacking
15. That my apartment is actually heated this year! (No, I’m not kidding…)
16. Seeing brown bears fish for salmon this summer.
20. The chance to have seen threatened/endangered creatures like beluga whales, the wirebird of St Helena, the radiated tortoises of Madagascar, a New Zealand weka, yellow-eyed penguins, a hawksbill sea turtle, and black rhinos.
21. Scuba diving and snorkeling
22. Beautiful wildernesses like Alaska
23. Modern medicine
24. My health
25. Beautiful man-made spaces like Venice, the Loire, New York City, Rome, Angkor Wat, Machu Picchu
26. Swiss trains and buses
27. Organized societies with clear law and order like Switzerland and the United States
28. Time to cook good dinners
29. Hot showers
30. Good American micro-brews
31. The view out my kitchen window (no, really – it’s a 10,000ft mountain).
32. The arts and humanities: music, painting, theater, dance, languages, history, biography, etc. etc.
33. The hiking trails five minutes from my door
34. Homemade pizza after a day skiing
35. Washing machine (much appreciated after bucket laundry on the circumnavigation!)
36. My DSLR camera
37. Getting nice comments on the blog – it’s awesome, thank you, kind readers!
38. Fruit: oranges, grapefruit, apples, mangoes, pears, avocadoes, grapes, bananas, etc. etc.
39. The micro hydro stations that provide my electricity
40. Good charts on Celeste and good topo maps when hiking/skiing
41. My Pilates instructor
42. Our neighborhood
43. Unexpected letters or postcards from friends
44. Wool long underwear (it doesn’t stink after you’ve worn it for 2 weeks straight…)
45. NAFTA (I really mean this, btw – Celeste was Canadian…)
46. Everything I learned while sailing and restoring Heretic
47. The stars, moon, sun, and planets
48. The trade winds
50. That I grew up by the ocean, and with dogs.
What are you thankful for?